The history of M+W Group

1912

Karl Meissner and Paul Wurst (“M+W”) founded the Company in Stuttgart, Germany, filing their first patent for a wood chip extractor.

1960s

M+W Group is a leading supplier of HVAC systems, a pioneer in cleanroom technology and equipment supplier for semiconductor, pharma, R&D and energy.

1970s

Supplier of all airflow equipment for largest nuclear power station of its time in Germany.

1980s

Semiconductor facility in Taiwan as the first large project in Asia marks a milestone in Advanced Technology Facilities.

1987: 75 year anniversary with sales of €75m

1990s

Lead contractor for various semiconductor projects in “Silicon Saxony” in Germany. First major contract for large scale flat panel display production facility in Taiwan. Establishing a strong presence in the United States and China

1994: M+W becomes part of Jenoptik AG, Jena, Germany

1998: Merger with Zander Klimatechnik to form M+W Zander

2000s

Set up of new segments such as Pharmaceutical & Health, Photovoltaics, Science & Research and Data Centers

2001: Acquisition of Lang und Peitler (automation business)

2008: M+W acquired by Stumpf Group; order intake of €1.3bn

2010s

Global expansion and major EPC contracts worldwide, such as biotechnology and pharmaceutical projects in Europe or large semiconductor and flat panel projects in Asia and the United States.

2010: Facility Management Zander sold

2012: 100 year anniversary: M+W Group celebrates its 100 year jubilee with clients and employees as a leading global engineering and construction company

Today

In 2018 the business activities are restructured. The core business activities of M+W Group operate under the name “Exyte”. All other business activities, which are mainly related to energy projects, remain under the responsibility of other subsidiaries of M+W Group.